Qualification(s): BA (Hons), LLB (Hons)
Dimitra Dubrow is a medical negligence Principal in Maurice Blackburn's Melbourne office. She is a Law Institute of Victoria Accredited Personal Injury Specialist with 15 years’ experience in medical malpractice claims.
Dimitra acts exclusively in medical negligence claims, pursuing compensation on behalf of injured patients and the families of deceased patients. Her expertise covers a number of areas including:
- failure to diagnose and treat by emergency departments
- mismanaged obstetric care and birth trauma claims
- issues with surgical care, and
- failure to diagnose and misdiagnosis of cancer cases.
Dimitra is also able to assist clients at Coronial inquests.
“I am motivated to get results that make a real difference to people’s lives while also bringing about improvements in our healthcare system,” says Dimitra.
She considers it a privilege to be part of people’s life journey and for clients to put their trust in her skills and in the firm.
“It is an honour to be able to provide meaningful assistance at such a critical time. I enjoy interacting closely with my clients, explaining and assisting them to access their full entitlements under the law. It is truly rewarding knowing that we are helping to empower people – not only to access their entitlements – but to hopefully gain some measure of closure.”
Among Dimitra’s recent cases are:
- the successful pursuit of compensation for a client who developed paraplegia as a result of failure to monitor the effects of epidural anaesthesia
- achieving a $5 million settlement for an infant who was given an excessive dose of intravenous saline resulting in brain damage, and
- providing Coronial inquest representation for the family of a mother of four young children who died after a routine operation.
“Medical negligence cases can be challenging but we work hard and creatively to find solutions. I communicate well with people from all walks of life. As a second generation Australian with a Greek background, I have some understanding of the difficulties people have in navigating around unfamiliar concepts and systems. I am always conscious that, for our clients, it is their one go at bringing a claim and so it is vital to be compassionate, clear in our advice and well prepared.”
Dimitra’s interest in medical negligence stems from her previous role as Associate to the Victorian County Court Judge overseeing the management of medical negligence cases. In 2000, she joined Maurice Blackburn because of her belief in the firm’s principles and her determination to help people and to make a difference in broader society.
“It is a great sense of achievement to see injured patients get properly compensated and representing families at inquests where systemic failures are exposed and recommendations for change are made.”
Dimitra also presents at medico-legal forums and is the co-author of the Lexus Nexus online Practical Guide to Medical Negligence litigation in Victoria.
Accreditations & memberships
- Law Institute of Victoria Accredited Personal Injury Specialist
- Law Institute of Victoria member
- Australian Lawyers Alliance member
- Law Institute of Victoria Public Liability Committee chair
- Law Institute of Victoria Medical Negligence Committee chair
- Law Institute of Victoria Litigation Lawyers Executive Committee member
- AMA/LIV/Vic Bar Medico-Legal Committee member