Superannuation claims, Insurance claims, Financial advice disputes
Qualification(s): BA, LLB
When it comes to superannuation and insurance claims, John Berrill is among the most passionate and knowledgeable advocates in the country. He is a Law Institute of Victoria Accredited Specialist and Principal at Maurice Blackburn, leading the largest plaintiff superannuation and insurance claims practice in Australia.
If you have an injury or a sickness and can't work for any medical reason, John is the go-to person. Even the former Federal Government recognised John is a leader in this field, appointing him to several panels
“Most Australians have at least one and often many superannuation policies. The insurance as part of these policies is separate to the lump sum super payout you get when you retire, and you can often access it when things go wrong.
“I help people with superannuation, insurance and death benefit claims. Most of these people are in very difficult financial situations and suffering from all sorts of disabilities: MS; cancer; arthritis; heart conditions; you name it, I act for them."
John followed his Mum’s advice and became a superannuation lawyer – a decision that has stood him in good stead for 30 years.
“It’s rewarding to help people with disabilities. That's why I get out of bed in the morning – to fight for these people and to get the money for them.”
After witnessing the difficulties a young gay man faced in getting access to legal representation in the 1990s, John was spurred on to become a founding member of the HIV/AIDS Legal Service. John is also proud of the work he does with many disability and chronic illness support groups, financial counsellors, community groups and unions. He often presents talks on accessing superannuation and insurance benefits for these groups and advocates on their behalf.
John’s passion for super and insurance are only equalled to his love of Icelandic post-rock band Sigur Ros, Essendon Football Club, playing soccer, participating in fun runs, and spending time with his family and dog.
Memberships & accreditations
- Law Institute of Victoria Member
- Law Institute of Victoria Personal Injury Accredited Specialist
- Australian Lawyers' Alliance Member
- Superannuation Complaints Tribunal Advisory Council Member
- Federal Government SuperStream Advisory Council Member
- Federal Government Travel Compensation Fund Board Member
- Australian Federation of Travel Agents Consumer Representative
- National Disaster Insurance Review Panel former Member
- Stronger Super Implementation Working Group Member (2011)
- Financial Industry Complaints Service Panel and Board Member (1995-2009)
- HIV/AIDS Legal Service founding Member
- Consumers Federation of Australia Member
- Chronic Illness Alliance Board Member
- Australian Federation of AIDS Organisations President’s Award 1995
- MS Society Victoria Certificate of Appreciation
- Australian Crohn’s & Colitis Association Certificate of Appreciation 1999