ACA gets Macmahon settlement across the line
In this judgment, Jagot J gave brief reasons for her approval of a settlement of this proceeding.
This matter is a shareholder class action on behalf of 170 class members (of whom 121 had signed funding agreements). The amount of the settlement was $6.7 million, which was to be distributed as follows:
- $2.695 million to the funder on account of costs and commission (representing an agreed reduction from the funder's full contractual entitlements)
- $1.6 million to the applicant's solicitors on account of unpaid costs (also representing an agreed reduction from their full contractual entitlements)
- $2.405 million to the class members (being approximately 36% of the gross settlement sum).
Hopkins v Macmahon Holdings Ltd  FCA 2061
- Federal Court of Australia, Jagot J
- Applicant's Solicitors: ACA Lawyers
- Respondent’s Solicitors: Herbert Smith Freehills
- Applicant's Funder: Harbour Fund II LP
Read more on Austlii: Hopkins v Macmahon Holdings Ltd  FCA 2061
Andrew WatsonNational Head of Class Actions, Class actions, Melbourne
"I'm an experienced litigator in class actions, particularly for shareholders who have been victims of corporate misconduct."
Ben SladeState Managing Principal, Office Leader, Class actions, Sydney
"I am driven to give a voice to those who would otherwise have to suffer because those who have done them wrong are all too powerful."
Kimi NishimuraPrincipal Lawyer, Class actions, Melbourne
"I'm committed to fighting for the rights of victims of corporate misconduct as well as pursuing compensation on behalf of my clients."
Rebecca GilsenanExecutive Director, Principal Lawyer, Class actions, Sydney
"I have extensive experience in running complex and novel litigation, including class actions in the areas of price fixing, failed investment schemes, product liability and securities."
Miranda NagyPrincipal Lawyer, Class actions, Sydney
"I have a strong conviction that the community should be able to expect our governments and the companies we deal with to comply with the law."
Julian SchimmelPrincipal Lawyer, Class actions, Sydney
"Class actions are a unique legal mechanism that have helped hundreds of thousands of people receive compensation after mistreatment at the hands of powerful companies, and it’s gratifying to help people get access to justice when otherwise it would’ve been difficult for them."
Vavaa MawuliPrincipal, Class actions, Brisbane
"The most rewarding thing about my work is the change in scale of what we are able to accomplish."