'Slip and fall'
'Slip and fall' accident compensation lawyers
Maurice Blackburn Lawyers specialise in public liability cases and offer a free initial consultation and evaluation of your case, so you know what to do next.
I’ve fallen in a public place. Am I eligible to make a claim?
Whether property is private or public, the occupier has a legal ‘duty of care’ towards people they can reasonably foresee will use that space.
Common locations of such claims include:
- Bike trails
- Rental properties
- Shopping centres
- Car parks
What do I need to start a claim?
It is important that you gather evidence of the incident as soon as possible.
Critical information includes:
- medical scans and reports of your injury
- photographs of your injury
- photographs of the location of the fall
- records of all communications with legal occupiers of the space
- records of communications with witnesses
- records and receipts of any other losses you incurred
What kind of compensation can I claim?
You may be eligible to claim for:
- Medical expenses incurred
- Loss of income
- Damages for pain and suffering
- Costs associated with necessary carers
- Costs associated with home modifications
You may further be eligible for a superannuation lump sum or compensation through your own insurance policies.
What does my slip & fall claim depend on?
Laws vary at state and federal level, as do time limits.
As this is a complex area of law, we recommend contacting our experienced public liability lawyers for advice.
Your claim will turn on the extent to which:
- You were owed a duty of care
- Care was not taken by the other party
- You were hurt and suffered losses as a result of their lack of care
If you were injured during work, you may have a workers compensation claim.
We recommend contacting our legal services as soon as possible for your specific entitlements and best course of action.
Who do I contact for legal advice?
Maurice Blackburn Lawyers have a long history of successful cases in public liability. Our personal injury lawyers are renowned for their ability to win for the little guy.
We are dedicated to taking the stress out of dealing with lawsuits, particularly where personal injuries are involved and the occupier is a big company.
We also offer a ‘no win no fee’ payment schedule, so if we don’t win, you don’t pay.
We have offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and throughout Australia. Talk to one of our team today for more information.
All you need to know about Public Liability
You have the right to be safe when you’re in a public place. If you have been hurt as the result of another person or organisation’s negligent behaviour you may be able to make a public liability claim for compensation.