The Royal Commission into
institutional responses
to child sexual abuse

The Royal Commission into institutional responses to child sexual abuse

1800 305 568
The Australian Government established the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse in 2013. In September 2015 it released its final report into redress and civil litigation. Maurice Blackburn is providing assisting many survivors with claims for compensation.

The Royal Commission has the powers to inquire into and report on instances and allegations of child abuse that occurred or was associated with any organisation involving children, such as schools, sporting clubs, children’s services, orphanages, foster care, residential care, religious organisations and government organisations.

The Royal Commission may have been the first time that some people who have suffered institutional abuse have spoken out, and that for all victims of abuse, is a chance to be heard and potentially take action.

The Royal Commission is continuing public hearings through till March 2017 but has finished private sessions.

In its final report into Redress and Civil Litigation it made recommendations about how institutions and government should provide redress to survivors, and amend laws to make civil law claims easier. It recommended that redress should include a response from the institution, provision of counselling and treatment, and a monetary payment. It also recommended that time limits for bringing claims be removed.

On 4 November 2016, the federal government announced that it will set up a redress scheme so that those who suffered abuse whilst in the care of an institution have access to financial compensation and support services. The redress scheme will start in 2018, however survivors should seek advice as soon as possible as they may have options of seeking compensation and support directly from the institution.

Maurice Blackburn has a dedicated team of expert abuse lawyers who understand the difficulties you are facing.. Whether you attended the Royal Commission or not, if you suffered from abuse whilst in the care of an institution our lawyers can assist you in making a claim for compensation that is available to you.

We have offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Darwin, Perth, Adelaide and throughout Australia. 

How do I claim compensation for institutional child sexual abuse?

The federal government redress scheme is not expected to begin until 2018. Survivors do not have to wait however as many  have legal rights to claim damages in the form of financial compensation directly from the institution where the abuse took place. Each institutional sexual abuse claim is different, and laws vary from state-to-state, so you should seek legal advice to find out your entitlements.

Maurice Blackburn’s dedicated institutional abuse lawyers can represent you in a civil claim for damages. While nothing is able to change the past and stop the abuse that occurred, the financial compensation can go some way towards you living a better life.

We have Queensland offices in Brisbane, Browns Plains, Caboolture, Cairns, Gold Coast, Ipswich, Mackay, Rockhampton, Strathpine, Sunshine Coast, Toowoomba, and Townsville. Contact us today for more information.

Who else can help?

If you need more support, please contact these national organisations.

Australian Counselling Association - Contact to find a counsellor. Ph: 1300 784 333

Australian Psychological Society - Contact to find a local psychologist. Ph: 1800 333

Beyond Blue - Mental health support. Ph: 1300 224 636

Blue Knot Foundation (formerly Adults Surviving Child Abuse (ASCA)) - Professional phone counselling for adult survivors of child abuse. Ph: 1300 657 380

Bravehearts - Counselling, case management and support and information for survivors. Ph: 1800 272 831

Care Leavers Australia Network (CLAN) - Counselling, support and advocacy. Ph: 1800 008 774

knowmore - Provides free legal assistance to people who have told their story to the Royal Commission. Ph: 1800 605 762

Lifeline - Free telephone counselling, 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. Ph: 13 11 14

Sexual Assault Counselling Australia - Trauma specialist telephone counselling for anyone affected by the Royal Commission. Ph: 1800 211 028

Survivors & Mates Support Network (SAMSN) - Provides assistant to men who have experienced abuse, as well as their families and friends. Ph: (02) 8355 3711

Dimi Ioannou

National Head of Public Liability and Consumer Protection, Melbourne

"It’s important that people know they are protected if something goes wrong through the negligence of someone else, and I pride myself on achieving a just outcome for those affected."

Hayriye Uluca

Principal Lawyer, State Litigation Leader, Melbourne

"I am passionate about maximising my clients’ insurance entitlements in the superannuation, life and general insurance matters and am prepared to go to great lengths to advocate my clients’ position and keep insurers accountable."

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

Can we help?
Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

We take calls 24/7

Call us now
1800 305 568

Free Call

Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you