'Slip and fall'
accident lawyers

How to make a claim if you slip and fall

If you are hurt in a 'slip and fall' accident, you may be able to claim compensation. Individuals and organisations have a 'duty of care' to ensure the safety of those they can reasonably foresee will be on their property. This applies to private and public property.

You can make a claim if you can show that:

  • the property owner owed you a duty of care
  • they did not meet that duty (either because of action or inaction)
  • you were hurt and suffered losses as a result.

A claim could cover medical expenses, lost income, damages for pain and suffering, and costs associated with necessary care and home modifications.

Helpful evidence would include records and receipts for medical expenses and any other losses, photos of the injury and accident location, and records of all communications with witnesses and the property owner.

The laws and time limits for filing a claim vary at the state and federal level, so contact a lawyer as soon as possible.

Why Maurice Blackburn?

We have a long history of successful cases like these. Our personal injury lawyers are renowned for winning cases for the everyday Australian.

We help take the stress out of dealing with lawsuits, particularly where personal injuries are involved and the case is against a large organisation.

We offer a free first consultation and case evaluation so you know what to do next. We also offer 'no win, no fee'* arrangements for these types of cases, which means that you don’t have to pay for our legal services if we don't win. We have offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and throughout Australia. Contact us today to find out how we can help.

All you need to know about public liability

You have the right to be safe when you’re in a public place. If you have been hurt as the result of another person or organisation’s negligent behaviour you may be able to make a public liability claim for compensation.

Frequently Asked Questions

I’ve fallen in a public place. Am I eligible to make a claim?

Common locations related to slip and fall claims include:

  • Parks
  • Bike trails
  • Rental properties
  • Shopping centres
  • Car parks.

What do I need to start a claim?

For the best chance of winning your claim, gather evidence of the incident as soon as possible. Critical information includes:

  • medical scans and reports of your injury
  • photographs of your injury
  • photographs of the location of the fall
  • records of all communications with legal occupiers of the space
  • records of communications with witnesses
  • records and receipts of any other losses you incurred.

What kind of compensation can I claim?

You may be eligible to claim for:

  • medical expenses incurred
  • loss of income
  • damages for pain and suffering
  • costs associated with necessary carers
  • costs associated with home modifications

You also may be eligible for a superannuation lump sum or compensation through your insurance. If you were injured during work, you may be able to make a workers' compensation claim.

No win, no fee*

Our public liability lawyers are experienced in winning fair compensation for our clients on a no win, no fee basis.

Our fees and agreements

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

Can we help?

Find an office near you

Let us contact you

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

We take calls 24/7

Call us now
1800 305 568

Free Call

Find an office near you

Let us contact you