Qualification(s): BA, LLB (Hons), GAICD
Brooke Dellavedova is one of Australia’s most experienced class actions lawyers. She is a Principal Lawyer based in Maurice Blackburn's Melbourne office. She is currently representing shareholders in the BHP class action.
She has acted for claimants in a number of significant, high profile class actions, including:
- The Murrindindi-Marysville Black Saturday Bushfire class action, which settled for $300m in 2015;
- The Air Cargo class action against major international airlines in relation to the provision of air freight services;
- The Vitamins class action, the first successful class action for victims of price fixing in Australian history;
- An action by shareholders against ASX-listed insurer QBE Insurance Group Limited alleging QBE breached its continuous disclosure obligations, engaged in misleading or deceptive conduct, and made false or misleading statements; and
- A shareholder class action against education provider Vocation Limited.
She also led the team that successfully represented indigenous land owners in their Federal Court challenge to the placement of a nuclear waste dump on Muckaty Station in the Northern Territory.
Brooke has written, presented and drafted submissions to Government on a range of competition and class action issues, and co-authored the Australian chapter of the American Antitrust Institute's International Handbook On Private Enforcement Of Competition Law. She is a Guest Lecturer in the Master of Laws program at the University of Melbourne and the Bachelor of Laws program at Victoria University.
Brooke has a particular interest in women's justice. She has been a convenor of the firm's Women's Network, and was formerly a director of Australian Women Lawyers and assistant convenor of Victorian Women Lawyers.
Brooke holds Honours in Laws from the University of Melbourne and was admitted to practice law in 2000. She was appointed to Principal in 2010.
- Law Institute of Victoria member
- Law Council of Australia Business Law Section Competition and Consumer Committee member
- International Bar Association member
- Victorian Women Lawyers member
- Australian Institute of Company Directors, graduate of Company Directors Course
- General Excellence - Private Practice Award, Victorian Women Lawyers, 2012
- Australian Law Award Best Dispute Resolution Team, 2015
- Australian Law Award Best Dispute Resolution Team, 2016