Qualification(s): LLB (Hons), GDipLabRelLaw, MA
Consuela Catalini is an Associate in Maurice Blackburn’s Melbourne Employment and Industrial team. She practices in all aspects of employment and workplace relations law and is listed by the prestigious Doyles Guide as part of the only first tier law firm for employee & trade union representation in 2018.
Consuela represents employees, including senior executives, public sector employees and union members and advises on:
- workplace investigations
- unfair dismissal, adverse action and unlawful dismissal claims
- performance management and disciplinary processes
- discrimination, workplace bullying and sexual harassment claims
- negotiating favourable employment contracts, including advising on restraints of trade
- redundancy pay claims
- breach of contract claims, including reasonable notice claims, and
- exit strategies prior to the termination of employment.
Consuela's best employment law results include:
- obtaining interim relief in the Federal Court to stop the progress of a flawed workplace investigation and settling a breach of EBA claim for a senior medical professional
- representing a Senior State Government official in a workplace investigation where all the allegations were eventually found to be unsubstantiated
- successfully negotiating a two-year payout for a client who had endured sustained sexual harassment at work by her supervisor
- securing the redundancy entitlements of a long standing employee who was being denied a severance payment, in breach of his enterprise agreement, on the basis that he was away from work and receiving WorkCover payments, and
- securing the reinstatement of a senior medical professional whose employment had been terminated in breach of her contract and successfully negotiating a one-year settlement for her exit.
Consuela is ably qualified, holding Honours in Law, a Graduate Diploma in Employment and Labour Relations Law and Master of Arts. Importantly, Consuela’s diverse and extensive employer experience allows her to apply a unique and insider perspective on each issue she advises her clients. This experience includes working for a number of national corporate law firms as well as the Government and Education sectors. She joined Maurice Blackburn in 2015.
Memberships & accreditations
- Law Institute of Victoria member
- Victorian Women Lawyers member
- Maurice Blackburn’s Women's Network member