Qualification(s): BCOM, CPA, MALP, JD, GDLP
David McGill is an experienced employment lawyer in Maurice Blackburn's Sydney office. He provides highly effective and practical representation and advice to executives, managers and employees across a range of workplace legal issues.
David spent more than a decade as an accountant, finance manager and corporate strategy specialist in the media sector. This valuable experience in the executive and professional sphere provided him with a deep understanding of workplace dynamics and a keen understanding of the practical and commercial considerations of employment matters.
David holds a Bachelor of Commerce and remains a Certified Practicing Accountant. He also holds a Master of Administrative Law and Policy, Juris Doctor with first class Honours, and a Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice.
David has particular skills in negotiating on behalf of clients, devising strategic approaches to legal claims, drafting impactful and persuasive letters of demand and applications on behalf of clients, and understanding the needs of clients from a broad range of backgrounds. Like all members of our employment team, David is acutely aware of the sensitive nature of the issues that many clients bring to him, and he endeavours to protect their reputation and confidentiality.
David has successfully:
- represented numerous employees in defending unfair workplace investigations resulting in their exoneration and reinstatement
- obtained over 13 months’ salary as compensation for a client who was discriminated against because of family responsibilities and terminated shortly before her to return to work from parental leave
- negotiated an exit package of almost $500,000 for a senior public sector manager who was subjected to an ongoing series of adverse actions after making a workplace complaint
- prevented attempts by employers to enforce unreasonable restraint of trade clauses in employment contracts which would have precluded clients from working in their professional field of expertise
- defended suspended health professionals accused of serious misconduct and threatened with termination, and assisted them to be reinstated to their positions
- negotiated a payment equivalent to 11 months’ salary for a client who was bullied and discriminated against in the workplace
- applied on behalf of victims of bullying to the Fair Work Commission seeking orders for the bullying to stop, and
- claimed significant amounts in unpaid wages and entitlements for numerous employees.
“I choose to work as a labour lawyer to fight for employees so they get a fair go in the workplace,” says David.
“Employees from all backgrounds and in all types of jobs can benefit from legal advice and representation to enforce their rights and entitlements, especially when the cards are stacked against them.
“Employment issues can have a big impact on people’s lives. It is rewarding to assist people during the difficult process of resolving these issues, to achieve real solutions for them, and to hold errant employers to account for wrongdoing.”
David has also completed volunteer work for environmental and social justice organisations such as Friends of the Earth and Aid/Watch.
Memberships & accreditations
- Law Society of NSW member
- Certified Practicing Accountant
- Maurice Blackburn's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Rights Committee treasurer
- Maurice Blackburn's Pride Network (LGBTIQ) member