Jarrah Ekstein is a Senior Associate in Maurice Blackburn’s Sydney class actions practice. She is currently working on the Treasury Wine Estates class action.
Jarrah has worked on a number of Maurice Blackburn’s successful class actions and social justice cases that have now concluded including the:
- CIMIC Group (formerly known as Leighton Holdings) shareholder class action which settled in 2019 for $32.4 million
- RiverCity shareholder class action which settled in 2016 for $121 million
- Grand Western Lodge class action which achieved more than $4 million in compensation for 50 people with disabilities who were allegedly assaulted, falsely imprisoned or suffered financial losses while they were residents of Grand Western Lodge
- DePuy (LCS Duofix Femoral Component) class action which compensated people who were surgically implanted with faulty knee implants
Jarrah holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Juris Doctor, and she was led to practice of law by her passion for social justice and a desire to work towards positive, systemic change. Before becoming a lawyer, Jarrah worked in the community sector and gained a deep appreciation of the structural causes of inequality in Australia. She is passionate about fighting for just outcomes for her clients and appreciates the capacity of such outcomes to achieve lasting change in the broader community.
“Our clients and their family members have suffered through no fault of their own. Our job is to hold wrong-doers accountable for their actions and take some of the burden off our clients through paying compensation,” says Jarrah.
An energetic and empathic lawyer, Jarrah relishes the intellectual challenge of working in diverse areas of law, together with the sheer scale of the task of representing dozens to thousands of clients against multiple parties. Her capacity to see the big picture while paying close attention to details is a defining feature of her work. Jarrah particularly enjoys working closely with clients to ensure they understand and are comfortable with all aspects of their cases.
Memberships & accreditations
- Law Society of NSW member
- Australian Lawyers for Human Rights member, former Vice-President
- Inner City Legal Centre Life Member and volunteer solicitor