Qualification(s): BA(Hons), LLB
Marie McGarvie is a special counsel practicing exclusively in the area of asbestos litigation in our Melbourne office.
Maria has a Bachelor of Arts (Hons) and Bachelor of Laws from the University of Melbourne and is a Law Institute of Victoria accredited specialist in personal injury law. She brings over 15 years' experience in this area of law and broad public sector experience to her senior role in our asbestos team.
She acts for clients who have been diagnosed with asbestos-related diseases including mesothelioma, asbestosis, asbestos related pleural disease and lung cancer.
Having practiced in asbestos compensation, workers compensation, and public liability law at another major plaintiff firm, Maria is well placed to manage complex litigation and fight hard to secure a good outcome for clients.
"I act for people who are very ill to help them navigate the legal system and achieve the best compensation for them," says Maria.
"At a time in their lives when they are both physically and mentally vulnerable after diagnosis, I am passionate about doing all I can to make the litigation process as easy as possible. Clients let me into their lives at such a difficult time and it is a privilege to work with them," she says.
Her achievements on behalf of clients include:
- Representing the wife and child of a forty-year old man who died of mesothelioma and achieving a result of well over $1m when other lawyers had advised her she was unlikely to obtain any compensation.
- Achieving several million dollars compensation for a boy with a brain injury suffered after a fall. This allowed the young man to begin his adult life with the financial independence that might otherwise have evaded him.
Maria's other roles include working as a project officer for the Victorian Law Foundation and as case officer for the Australian Banking Industry Ombudsman.
Memberships and accreditations
- Law Institute of Victoria Accredited Specialist in Personal Injury Law
- Australian Lawyers' Alliance
- Law Institute of Victoria