Qualification(s): LLB, BA (Int Studies)
Tanya de Almeida is an Employment and Industrial Law Associate at Maurice Blackburn’s Sydney office. Tanya has strong technical knowledge and practical experience in employment and industrial matters, particularly in unfair dismissals, general protections and underpayment claims.
“I am conscious of the significant impact adversity at work can have on my clients in terms of their livelihood and the enormous distress it can cause. In many cases, there is a power imbalance between a company and an employee, and I believe strong legal representation can address this inequality. I pride myself on working hard to achieve the best possible outcome for those I am representing, both financially and in relation to their reputation, career progression and well-being.”
Tanya has conducted and supervised cases in the Fair Work Commission, Federal Circuit Court and the Chief Industrial Magistrates Court, and has appeared in the Federal Court, Supreme Court and District Court of South Australia, as well as the local Magistrates Courts.
Tanya has successfully:
- Supervised a Federal Circuit Court underpayment claim on behalf of a group of employees who had not received wages for work performed. The application included claims for multiple breaches of the modern award and the Fair Work Act and sought compensation and civil penalties. The wages were paid in full prior to a hearing date being set.
- Obtained a six-figure settlement, resignation and agreed statement of facts for an employee facing termination in the course of an investigation into serious misconduct.
- Conducted a general protections application on behalf of a transport worker facing termination on medical grounds, achieving a favourable settlement including the employee being reinstated to his position.
- Instructed in an unfair dismissal hearing against a state government organisation for an employee who resigned from work in circumstances amounting to a dismissal, achieving a favourable settlement in the course of the hearing.
- Obtained a favourable settlement prior to hearing for an executive claiming annual leave and redundancy entitlements in a complex underpayment claim.
- Obtained an additional redundancy payment and superannuation for an employee where the employee was incorrectly classified as an independent contractor for a period of their employment.