Tanya Straguszi is a born and bred Cairns local who has always studied and worked in the region. She was admitted to practice law in 2007 and is now a Principal and Cairns Regional Office Leader at Maurice Blackburn. She became a lawyer to help people, and takes great pride and satisfaction in achieving fair outcomes for her clients who have been wronged.
“I am inspired every day by my clients and I enjoy the opportunity to make a real difference to people’s lives. This has included a successful outcome where proper testing facilities were installed and protocols were changed by a Queensland Government service.”
Tanya provides her clients and their families with a way to fight unfair treatment by combining local knowledge with the strength and backing of a national firm.
“Everyone should have access to justice and good quality legal representation, no matter where you live in Australia. Given that I have always lived and worked in FNQ, I am familiar with the issues that truly matter to the Cairns community.”
Tanya is also a born leader. She was given an opportunity to conduct insurance law files at a Cairns law firm where she previously worked, and she ended up managing the insurance department. She then joined Maurice Blackburn in 2012 to take on the Cairns office leader role.
Tanya can share more about her particular area of legal expertise, including the National Injury Insurance Scheme (NIIS) if you contact her directly.
Memberships & accreditations
- Queensland Law Society Member
- North Queensland Law Association Committee Member since 2007
- North Queensland Law Association Co-President (2010)
- Australian Lawyers Alliance Member
- ARC Disability Services Board of Management Vice President
- Cairns Business Women's Club Member
- Independent Director of Far North Queensland Ports Corporation Limited
- MacDonnells and Inter Alia Prize for Academic Excellence in Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law, James Cook University, 2005
- The Inter Alia and Cope Family Law prize for Academic Excellence in Family Law, James Cook University, 2005
- The Reaston Lawyers and Inter Alia Academic Prize for Excellence in Conveyancing and Drafting, James Cook University, 2005