accident lawyers

What to do if you're in a water-sport accident

Whether you jet ski, surf, or kayak, water sports carry an inherent risk of injury. High-speed water activities are particularly risky.

What to do if you're in a water-sport accident

Water activities like jet skiing, surfing and kayaking can be risky. If you or a member of your family has been injured in a water-sport accident, you may be able to make a claim for compensation. This also applies to situations in which a family member has died as a result of a water-related accident.

Compensation could cover medical expenses, lost income, damages for pain and suffering, and costs associated with home care and modifications. You may also be eligible for a superannuation lump sum or compensation through your insurance.

The laws and time limits for filing a claim vary at the state and federal level, so contact a lawyer as soon as possible.

Why Maurice Blackburn?

Our team has extensive experience managing water-sport accident cases and can advise you on whether you have an eligible claim for personal injury compensation.

Your initial consultation is free. We also offer 'no win, no fee'* arrangements for these types of cases, which means that you don’t have to pay for our legal services if we don't win.

Maurice Blackburn Lawyers has offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin and throughout Australia. Contact us today to find out how we can help, or read more about how to avoid injuries on the water.

All you need to know about public liability

You have the right to be safe when you’re in a public place. If you have been hurt as the result of another person or organisation’s negligent behaviour you may be able to make a public liability claim for compensation.

Frequently Asked Questions

What does my water accident claim depend on?

You can make a claim if you can show that:

  • the property owner owed you a 'duty of care'
  • they did not meet that duty (either because of action or inaction)
  • you were hurt and suffered losses as a result.

What do I need to start a claim?

For the best chance of winning your claim, gather evidence of the incident as soon as possible. Helpful evidence would include:

  • records and receipts for medical expenses and any other losses
  • photos of your injury
  • photos of the accident location
  • records of any communications with witnesses and the property owner.

It is best that you bring this information to your lawyer for an assessment of your claim. Our public liability lawyers have extensive experience managing water sport accident cases and can advise you on your eligibility for compensation.

Are only medical bills compensated?

No. The law caters for a variety of losses incurred as a result of your accident.

Common categories for water-sport accident compensation include:

  • medical treatment and hospitalisation
  • loss of wages and superannuation
  • damages for pain and suffering—both physical and psychological
  • costs associated with domestic assistance
  • costs associated with home modifications.

No win, no fee*

Our public liability lawyers are experienced in winning fair compensation for our clients on a 'no win'*, no fee basis.

Our fees and agreements

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

Can we help?

Find an office near you

Let us contact you

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

We take calls 24/7

Call us now
1800 305 568

Free Call

Find an office near you

Let us contact you