Military compensation lawyers

Military compensation

1800 305 568
If you are a current or former member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF), reservist or military cadet and you suffer from injury, illness or disease related to your defence service, you may be eligible to claim compensation. This includes Post Traumatic Stress Disorder related to your service that you may suffer many years after you complete your tour of duty or other service.

If you are a dependant – such as a spouse, partner, child or relative requiring care from the ADF member – and have been impacted by a death related to defence service, you may also be able to bring a claim for compensation.

Maurice Blackburn has personal injury compensation lawyers throughout Australia who understand the intricacies of workplace compensation schemes and can help you make a claim.

The Military, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) is the scheme that generally covers members injured due to service. This is commonly referred to as the DVA scheme, because the Department of Veteran’s Affairs  is the department responsible for the distribution of these benefits. 

The benefits you may be able to access for accepted injuries include:

  • medical expenses
  • rehabilitation
  • aids and appliances (including alterations to your home and vehicle)
  • household and gardening needs
  • payment of weekly incapacity compensation if you cannot return to your pre-injury employment (including top-up pay), and  
  • a permanent impairment lump sum.

The DVA scheme can be extremely complicated, and it is important to proceed in a particular legal way to maximise your chances of having your claim accepted and receiving your full benefits.  ADF members also have various rights of appeal that require legal representation.

ADF members may also be entitled to disability benefits through the various military superannuation schemes. We have a national superannuation and insurance department that has particular experience and expertise in dealing with Comsuper, MSBS or DFRDB claims.

We have offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin and throughout Australia. Contact us today to find out how we can help.

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

Can we help?

Find an office near you

Let us contact you

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

We take calls 24/7

Call us now
1800 305 568

Free Call

Find an office near you

Let us contact you