Work related
injury lawyers

Work related injuries

1800 305 568
At Maurice Blackburn we know that claiming workers’ compensation can be a complicated and involved process. We have a team of expert lawyers that specialise in WorkCover and workplace injuries claims and will help you with your claim.

Our specialist workers’ compensation and injury lawyers live and work locally, so they understand your needs and what you’re going through. Our 'no win, no fee' policy means that if we don’t win, you don’t have to pay our legal fees. 

If you've had an accident or if your health and wellbeing have been affected in the workplace, you may be eligible to make a claim for workers’ compensation. This also applies to any injuries happening at, or as a result of work, and any pre-existing injury, illness or disease worsened in the workplace.

If you have suffered an injury or illness in the workplace, the first thing you should do is report it to your employer. This must be done within 30 days of becoming aware of the condition, and includes completing a WorkCover claim form and getting a WorkCover medical certificate from your doctor. Make sure you keep copies of both the claim form and the medical certificate for yourself before you give the originals to your employer. Make sure your employer signs them. You should also lodge a copy of the claim form with the workers' compensation authority in your state.

Workers’ compensation laws and entitlements vary between states and may be known as WorkCover, CTP or WorkSafe. Employees of the Commonwealth and ACT governments and of some large national employers are covered by the Comcare system. Whatever system you’re covered by, if you’ve been injured at work, our expert work related injury solicitors will fight to protect your legal rights.

We have offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin and throughout Australia. Contact us for more information today.

All you need to know about Workers' Compensation

If you've had an accident or if your health and wellbeing have been affected in the workplace, you may be eligible to make a claim for workers’ compensation.

Amanda's story — Work related injury

"It’s been good to know that… financially, the damage has been repaired…”

Gerald's story - Work accident injury

"Without Maurice Blackburn, I would have given up. Pure and simple."

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I claim compensation?

If you suffer from an injury, illness or disease as a result of, or in the course of employment, you can claim workers’ compensation.

What types of workers are covered?

Workers' compensation schemes cover injured workers, including part-time workers, casual workers and in many circumstances subcontractors such as owner/drivers and agency nurses.

If you are an injured Commonwealth Government employee, or an injured employee of a large national company, you can claim under the Federal Comcare scheme.

What types of injuries can I claim?

The compensation and benefits you are entitled to can vary greatly depending on the seriousness of your injury and law under which you’re covered.

As well as workplace accidents, you may also be able to claim compensation for a recurrence, aggravation, acceleration, exacerbation or deterioration of any pre-existing injuries or disease impacted by your work. Injuries including cancers, strokes, asthma, heart conditions and degenerative conditions are often made worse by employment.

In some states you may be able claim for injuries sustained during a normal recess, such as lunchtime or morning and afternoon tea breaks. As long as you can show some relationship between your employment and the injury, you may be able to claim compensation.

How long do I have to claim?

Time limits vary under the different state and Federal laws. It’s important to report your injury to your work and the workers’ compensation authority that covers you as soon as possible – and usually within 30 days – of becoming aware of the injury. This includes completing a claim form and getting a medical certificate.

The actual legal process may take up to several years, especially if you have to wait for injuries to stabilise. It’s important you talk with a lawyer if you’re unsure about the amount of time you have to claim, even if it has been more than 30 days since you were injured.

How do I claim compensation?

To make a claim you should:

  • report your injury to your employer within 30 days of becoming aware of the injury
  • complete a workers' compensation claim form
  • get a worker’s compensation medical certificate
  • make sure to keep copies of the claim form and medical certificate and give the originals to your employer as soon as possible
  • make sure your employer signs and dates the form on the day you provide it to them, and
  • lodge a copy of the claim form with the workers' compensation authority.

Our work related injury experts can give you more information about the claim process.

How much will I get?

We can't tell how much you will get without your specific information. However, you may receive payments that are equal to a percentage of your weekly earnings, along with payment for all reasonable medical and associated expenses.

Can I claim a lump sum?

You can claim a lump sum for permanent impairment. Generally, a claim cannot be made within 12 months of the injury and not before the injury is stable. The lump sum amount will depend on your impairment level, date of injury, and the law that covers your workers’ compensation.

Can I claim for the death of a family member?

If a worker dies as a result of a work-related injury, illness or disease, the dependants of the worker are able to claim a compensation lump sum along with a pension. If the death is the fault of the employer or any other person, a dependant may also be entitled to bring a common law claim seeking damages in some states. It is important to seek legal advice about this.

What expenses are covered and benefits am I entitled to?

All reasonable expenses are covered by workers’ compensation for:

  • medical
  • hospital
  • nursing
  • personal and household
  • occupational
  • rehabilitation, and
  • ambulance services

Expenses such as doctors, chemists, physiotherapy and chiropractic bills are also covered.

Your workers’ compensation authority may also approve payment for attendant care, modifications to a home or car, home help and transportation costs.

Can I sue for damages under common law?

Depending on the state in which your injury occurred, you may be able to sue for additional compensation under common law if your injuries are the fault of your employer or any other person. These claims can be made even if the injury may have been partly your fault. Successful claims result in lump sums being payable.

Common law claims usually include money being claimed for:

  • pain and suffering
  • past and future medical expenses
  • past loss of earnings
  • future loss of earnings or loss of earning capacity, and
  • past and future loss of Superannuation contributions.

Time limits and complicated rules apply in states where common law claims are available so it is essential to speak to an expert lawyer.

Can I also claim income protection through my super?

Yes, you can claim if you have taken out income protection that’s part of your superannuation policy. Also, if you're forced out of your trade or job due to the injury, you may be entitled to a superannuation lump sum. We are experts in this area. It’s important to talk with a lawyer about how best to do this.

No win, no fee*

Our work injury lawyers are experienced in winning fair compensation for our clients on a no win, no fee basis.

Our fees and agreements

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

Can we help?

Find an office near you

Let us contact you

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

We take calls 24/7

Call us now
1800 305 568

Free Call

Find an office near you

Let us contact you