Cyclist accident
compensation claims

Maurice Blackburn has helped hundreds of injured cyclists make TAC and compensation claims in Victoria. If you are a cyclist injured in an accident directly caused by the driving of a motor vehicle, bus, tram or train, you should lodge a claim for compensation with the Transport Accident Commission (TAC).

The TAC will also pay compensation where:

  • a cyclist collides with an open or opening car door, or
  • there is no collision, but the cyclist's injury was caused by a feature of driving, for example, swerving to miss a collision with a car.

If your accident is not covered by the TAC but someone else is at least partly at fault, it may be covered by public liability laws. We can also help you with these claims.

Our road accident injury lawyers also help injured cyclists make compensation claims in other states of Australia. Talk to one of our lawyers to find out your rights today. 

Maurice Blackburn Lawyers has offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, 
Darwin and throughout Australia.


All you need to know about Road injury claims

If you’re injured in a road or public transport accident involving a car, bus, truck, train, tram, motorcycle, scooter or bicycle, we’ll show you how to navigate your way through a road injury claim.

Frequently Asked Questions

Property damage claims

If you are involved in an accident that is somebody else's fault, you may be able to claim for the damage caused to your bicycle/personal items in the accident. You can claim for the reasonable costs of repairs to your bicycle or the pre-accident value of your bicycle minus salvage. You can also claim in respect of your clothing, cycling accessories or any other goods damaged in the accident.

Maurice Blackburn has partnered with Bicycle Network to provide legal services to members.

Bicycle Network members

Maurice Blackburn has partnered with Bicycle Network to provide legal services to members for the past 25 years.

If you are a member of Bicycle Network you are also entitled to receive free legal advice from Maurice Blackburn in relation to property damage claims and a letter of demand for recovery for the cost of personal items and your bicycle property damage. You are also eligible to receive assistance for incidents involving motor vehicles and state road accident schemes. 

All members of Bicycle Network have insurance as part of their membership. This insurance covers Bicycle Network members for personal injury costs and up to $5million in personal liability costs (to cover others). 

The insurance covers members for*:

  • non-Medicare medical expenses
  • loss of income
  • overseas riding (including emergency overseas and repatriation expenses)
  • loss of deposits and luggage on Bicycle Network events
  • rehabilitation costs
  • home help and other support related costs; and
  • permanent injury/disability and death lump sum payments.

*subject to the policy wording  

No win, no fee*

Our cyclist accident lawyers are experienced in winning fair compensation for our clients on a no win, no fee basis.

Our fees and agreements

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

Can we help?

Find an office near you

Let us contact you

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

We take calls 24/7

Call us now
1800 305 568

Free Call

Find an office near you

Let us contact you