Home and contents
insurance claims lawyers

Lawyers for home insurance claims

Most people insure their house against damage or destruction, as well as having contents insurance, whether they own their home or are renting a property—but terms and conditions vary between insurers, so it’s a good idea to know exactly what your policy covers.

In most cases, home and contents insurance covers damages from natural disasters—including floods, fires and cyclones—and the financial cost of repairing or replacing household items and furnishings, such as white goods, electronic devices and appliances, clothing, jewellery, furniture and decorations. It also covers some forms of structural damage.

Sometimes, when it comes to claim time, home insurers will rely on the fine print to knock back your claim—so if this has happened to you make sure you contact us to find out what we can do.

We’ve helped many people with their home insurance claims, and in our experience even a rejected claim can still win.

Why Maurice Blackburn?

Maurice Blackburn's home and contents insurance claims lawyers are experts, and we understand the importance of having someone in your corner when you're taking on a well-resourced insurance company.

We offer 'no win, no fee'* arrangements for these types of cases, which means that you don’t have to pay for our legal services if we don't win. We have home insurance lawyers in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin and throughout Australia. Contact us today to find out how we can help.

Kim Shaw

Executive Director, National Head of Personal Legal Services, Melbourne

'I am passionate about helping people know their rights and ensure they receive their lawful entitlements at a time of significant disruption and anxiety in their lives.'

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I covered for bushfires or earthquakes?

Yes, usually. However, some won't cover smoke damage or damage not caused by flames.

Am I fully covered if my home is destroyed?

Only if you have replacement cover – some people have fixed price cover which might not be enough.

How is my policy renewed?

The insurer must notify you in writing when the next premium is due. The policy will lapse if you don't pay the next premium. The insurance company must notify you that the policy has lapsed.

What is my duty of disclosure?

When you take out or renew your insurance policy, you have to tell the insurer anything that might be relevant to whether they will cover you. You also have to truthfully answer questions they ask. This is called a duty of disclosure.

If you don't, the insurer might try not to pay you, although often with help you can force them to pay.

When I can claim?

As soon as possible, but you might be able to claim even after a long time. To find out how to make a claim or if you're having any problems, contact us.

No win, no fee*

Our insurance claim lawyers are experienced in winning fair compensation for our clients on a no win, no fee basis.

Our fees and agreements

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

Can we help?
Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

We take calls 24/7

Call us now
1800 305 568

Free Call

Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you