Income protection lawyers

Income protection insurance lawyers

Income protection, like Total and Temporary Disability (TTD) insurance, is there to cover your income if you aren’t able to work due to a medical condition. You are often covered by some form of income protection, either through the superannuation fund contributed to by your employer, or by unions and organisations you are a member of.

Terms and conditions on income protection insurance vary between insurers, but in many cases you won’t be aware of these because you don’t always get a copy of the policy. Claiming income protection insurance can sometimes be difficult, but Maurice Blackburn’s income protection lawyers are experts at working through the fine print in income protection policies and can help you get your full entitlements.

Why Maurice Blackburn?

Maurice Blackburn's income protection insurance claims lawyers are experts, and we understand the importance of having someone in your corner when you're taking on a well-resourced insurance company for an income protection claim.

We offer 'no win, no fee'* arrangements for these types of cases, which means that you don’t have to pay for our legal services if we don't win. We have superannuation lawyers in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin and throughout Australia. Contact us today to find out how we can help.

Kim Shaw

Executive Director, National Head of Personal Legal Services, Melbourne

'I am passionate about helping people know their rights and ensure they receive their lawful entitlements at a time of significant disruption and anxiety in their lives.'

Frequently Asked Questions

Have I got income protection insurance?

Many employees have income protection through their employers, their employment superannuation, or industry organisations.

Self-employed people often have private income protection.

What am I covered for?

Usually income protection policies provide monthly payments up to 75 per cent of your income for a number of years, with a waiting period.

Are there any exclusions or offsets?

Some policies have workers’ compensation or Centrelink offsets, but not all.

Do I have automatic cover?

Group insurance policies such as those taken out as part of your superannuation policy, usually give some automatic cover without health questions. Private policies usually have health questions.

What is my duty of disclosure?

Under some, but not all, policies you have to tell the insurer about pre-existing health problems. You also have to truthfully answer questions they ask. If you don't, the insurer might try not to pay you - but often with our help you can get them to pay.

What does 'disability' mean?

The definition of ‘disability’ for income protection depends on the policy. It might be when you are unfit to do some or all of the duties of your usual job, or unfit for other suitable work as well.

When can I claim?

As soon as possible, but you may be able to claim even after a long time. We can help you with a claim.

No win, no fee*

Our insurance claim lawyers are experienced in winning fair compensation for our clients on a no win, no fee basis.

Our fees and agreements

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

Can we help?
Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

We take calls 24/7

Call us now
1800 305 568

Free Call

Find an office near you
Your local office

Let us contact you