Global search

Primary navigation

Public liability claims lawyers

Public place injury lawyers

If you've been injured in a public place because of the negligence of someone else, you may be eligible for compensation. 

Being injured in a public place can be confusing and stressful. You may not know who has the duty of care to protect you or what your rights are. That's where we can help, and our public liability lawyers are by your side to guide you through the process.

Click here to find out if you have a claim.

We can't show certain information in Queensland due to local regulations.
For QLD-specific information, please select QLD from the drop down menu at the top of the page.

Who can make a claim

Public liability covers a wide range of circumstances in which someone is injured because of the negligence of someone else.

Individuals, businesses and organisations have a 'duty of care' to ensure the safety of all people in their space. This covers privately and publicly owned space such as sporting fields, parks, gardens and footpaths, as well as public, commercial, rental and retail property.

Businesses and others who occupy property (other than residents) are required to carry public liability insurance, so compensation claims are mostly made against insurance companies.

Examples of injuries include:

  • injuries on private property, including rental properties
  • injuries sustained at work by contractors who are not employees
  • aviation accidents
  • boat and water-sport accidents
  • sporting injuries
  • bicycle accidents that don't involve a vehicle
  • physical and sexual assault
  • injuries caused by animals
  • slips and falls in supermarkets and other retail outlets
  • playground and schoolyard accidents
  • food poisoning


Time limits for making a claim

You have three years to make a claim from the date of injury. For children or a person under disability, a time limit of six years from the date of injury applies.

Compensation and benefits

Your public liability claim will vary depending on your location and the nature of your injuries. Generally, a public liability compensation claim will cover things like:

  • medical costs (including past and future costs)
  • lost income (including past and future)
  • pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment of life
  • care and assistance provided to you at home


Find out in minutes if you have a claim

Use our free online claim check to start your public place injury claim assessment.

Making a public place injury claim

Our public liability lawyers will assist you with your claim and make sure you know about your rights and entitlements. We take care of the legal process on your behalf.

We'll keep you informed throughout the whole process and provide you with legal advice that is easy to understand.

If you think you have a claim you should:


Seek medical treatment and tell your doctor how you were injured.


Keep records and receipts for any wages lost and for medical and related expenses including the dates of medical consultations.


Take photos of the injuries and where you were injured (where possible).


Write down the name and number of any witnesses.

It doesn't cost you anything to know where you stand 

1800 305 568
We take calls 24/7

Office locations

We’re here to help. Get in touch with your local office.

Select your state below

Our Canberra office is now closed, but our team continues to serve ACT clients and are available for phone and video appointments. If you need legal advice, please call us on 1800 675 346.

We have lawyers who specialise in a range of legal claims who travel to Tasmania. If you need a lawyer in Hobart, Launceston or elsewhere in Tasmania, please call us on 1800 675 346.