Samuel Habteslassie is a social justice Associate in our Melbourne office. Samuel has worked solely in this area since he was admitted in 2017.
"I am driven by the belief that our profession has a duty to ensure that justice and strong legal representation is accessible to the most vulnerable."
Through his social justice work, Samuel has supported a variety of clients across a number of areas of law, such as:
- Acting for refugees detained by the Australian Government in Nauru Medical Evacuations and the Christmas Island Class Action.
- Defending the rights of women to safely access fertility services – free from harassment – in the Abortion Clinic Safe Access Zone Constitutional in the High Court of Australia.
- Challenging the legality of the programming in the Pokies Litigation.
- African Australian Lawyers Network
- Law Institute of Victoria.
- Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards Pro Bono Program of the Year, 2018