Injured on the road in Victoria? Here's what you should do

Being in a car accident is frightening, especially if it wasn’t your fault. 

If this has happened to you, you’re not alone. Our expert road injury compensation team have handled thousands of claims for cyclists, passengers, pedestrians, truckies, motorcyclists and drivers whose lives have been turned upside down by a road accident. We’ve helped those people get the compensation they deserved to move forward.

Here are our steps to take after a road accident:

  • Seek medical help
  • Record details
  • Get evidence
  • Seek legal advice

Seek medical help

In serious accidents, call 000. Be clear about your location and what help is required.

If it’s safe to do so, move injured persons to the side of the road as quickly as possible so that there are no further potential injuries from oncoming traffic. Ensure that you are away from any potential fire hazards.

If the road accident seems minor, you may not need an ambulance – but you should always call the police. Having the police attend the scene means there will be a record of who was there, what happened and who the police determined likely at fault.

If you notice any symptoms after the road accident, seek medical advice as soon as possible.

Record details

If you are conscious and able to, make sure you swap details with any other parties involved in the road accident.

You should ask the other party for:

  • Their full name and address
  • Contact phone number
  • Licence details
  • Registration details
  • Insurance details
  • Make and model of any vehicles involved

If this is not possible at the time, whether your injury is too severe or you are too busy providing medical assistance to someone else, make sure the police arrive to record the details of everyone present. You can also ask a witness to do this on your behalf.

If it is a hit and run, there are still options available should you need to make a compensation claim later down the track. Maurice Blackburn can help you with this process.

Get evidence

Witness statements and photos can be used in a road accident compensation claim to prove you were not at fault.

If there are witnesses, ask them to provide you with their details. If they have photos of the road accident, ask them to forward copies to you.

If you’re able to, and it’s safe to do so, take photos of the road accident. Photos of the intersection or road where the accident occurred, or any damage to vehicles, is particularly helpful.

Seek legal advice

In Victoria, anyone who has sustained an injury from a road accident can potentially make a claim for compensation. Cyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians and passengers are all covered.

A compensation claim can be made for all physical and psychological injuries, as long as there’s a connection between the road accident and the injury.

There are time limits and criteria, so seeking legal advice early is critical. At Maurice Blackburn, our lawyers will review your legal rights for free, so it won’t cost you anything to know where you stand.

A compensation claim can award you damages for:

  • Lost earnings
  • Lost superannuation
  • Medical expenses
  • Rehabilitation and treatment expenses
  • Pain and suffering

Next steps

Making a claim for compensation after a road accident doesn’t need to be overwhelming.

With the right support from Maurice Blackburn, we can guide you through the process to help you get everything you’re entitled to. Our team are experts in road accident injuries and know how to maximise your compensation.

For a free consultation in your local area, contact us today.

Share this article on:

Liberty Sanger

Maurice Blackburn Melbourne

Liberty Sanger is a Principal Lawyer at Maurice Blackburn Lawyers, and she leads our national personal injury compensation departments. Liberty is a qualified Law Institute of Victoria Personal Injury Accredited Specialist and she is recognised by the prestigious Doyles Guide as one of only five leading lawyers in workers' compensation in Victoria.

Liberty says she became a lawyer to help peopl…

Read more

See all contributors