Global search

Primary navigation

The Canberra Hospital (Centenary Hospital for Women and Children) has come under criticism after a draft report from the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetrics and Gynaecologists (RANZCOG), the body that trains and accredits obstetricians in Australia, was released identifying several concerns regarding the training, education, and responsibilities of junior doctors training to be obstetricians and gynaecologists. 

The report states that the hospital’s workplace culture has deteriorated, with understaffing pressures as well as bullying, burnout, and lack of supervision of junior doctors. With the hospital at risk of losing its training accreditation, the report raises concerns about the standard of care expectant parents and their babies may receive.

This is a worrying finding and a concern for parents in the ACT. These poor work conditions can pave the way for errors and substandard patient care, potentially resulting in serious consequences.

We have represented clients with medical negligence claims after a lack of supervision and intervention, poor communication, and reduced quotas of midwives and doctors to women giving birth led to babies sadly suffering brain injury and even death. 

What should you do if poor hospital care has affected you or your baby? 

If you or your baby have been hurt at a hospital, such as The Canberra Hospital, you can raise concerns and seek a review of the medical treatment you received.

What are my options if my baby or I have experienced an adverse outcome at the Hospital? 

  1. Seek independent legal advice
    You are entitled to seek independent legal advice about your rights or your child’s rights in relation to any adverse outcome or injury that occurred in relation to labour and delivery at The Canberra Hospital. 

  2. Make a complaint to the ACT Human Rights Commission 
    You are entitled to make a complaint to the ACT Human Rights Commission in relation to the care and treatment you or your baby received from The Canberra Hospital. 

  3. Understand your rights and time limits 
    In the ACT, there are strict notification procedures in relation to seeking compensation against the Canberra Hospital for personal injury or death. It’s best to speak to a lawyer about your rights and these time requirements. 

What to consider if you’re seeking compensation for medical negligence

Medical negligence arises when a health practitioner fails to take reasonable care, and their patient suffers an injury as a result. 

Patients who suffer harm due to medical negligence have the legal right to seek compensation for their damages. Legal action in cases of medical negligence involves proving that the healthcare provider breached their duty of care and that this breach directly led to the patient's injuries. Establishing this link can be complex, requiring expert medical testimony, comprehensive documentation, and legal expertise.

While compensation cannot reverse or undo the harm, it can contribute to ongoing medical costs, care costs and early intervention and therapy costs and other damage caused. Our team of expert medical negligence lawyers are here to help you understand your legal options and to achieve the best possible outcome for you.

Related articleSeeking compensation for medical negligence: What to consider

We can help with medical negligence claims

Our team of expert medical negligence lawyers are here to help you understand your legal options and to achieve the best possible outcome for you. 

It doesn't cost you anything to know where you stand 

Office locations

We’re here to help. Get in touch with your local office.

Select your state below

We have lawyers who specialise in a range of legal claims who travel to Australian Capital Territory. If you need a lawyer in Canberra or elsewhere in Australian Capital Territory, please call us on 1800 675 346.

We have lawyers who specialise in a range of legal claims who travel to Tasmania. If you need a lawyer in Hobart, Launceston or elsewhere in Tasmania, please call us on 1800 675 346.