Global search

Primary navigation

Riding a dirt bike is an exhilarating experience. Heading off-road to ride across acres of land, bouncing over hills and coming home covered in dirt is all part of the fun. But if you’re injured while riding an uninsured bike, you could be left facing a hefty bill.

If you have a dirt bike accident, you’ll want to know whether you’re entitled to the insurance benefits from your state’s relevant transport authority. 

No-fault insurance schemes for dirt bike accidents

Following the Queensland Government’s introduction of a statewide no-fault insurance scheme in 2016, people in all Australian states and territories now have access to compensation following a motor vehicle accident, including dirt bikes, no matter who is at fault. However, eligibility and the amount of compensation you may be entitled to varies from state to state and can depend on factors such as whether you were partially at fault, and the severity of your injuries.

Your claim may also be affected by what type of land your accident occurred on, whether you have a licence and whether the vehicle you were riding was registered at the time of the motorcycle accident.

In this article we cover some key points on how the compensation scheme works for dirt bike riding in Victoria. Laws vary from state to state, so it’s crucial you know the laws of the state in which you’re riding, and the state in which your bike is registered.

Dirt bike injury laws in Victoria

If you are injured in any kind of motor vehicle accident (motorbike accidentcar accident, public transport accident etc.) you are generally entitled to ‘no fault’ benefits from the TAC. This can include payment of medical expenses, income support and a lump sum impairment benefit. Common law damages can also be pursued in some circumstances. The good news is that the entitlements are exactly the same for off-road dirt bike riding in most instances, but there are some important points to be aware of, to avoid being left without cover.

A person riding a dirt bike in Victoria

Does your dirt bike need to be registered when riding on private property?

While your dirt bike does not need to be registered when riding on private property, compensation for motorbike injuries is not payable by the TAC where an accident involves an unregistered vehicle on private land.

Private land is defined as any privately owned land that is not a highway, and on which the public may not ride without permission.

The interpretation of that definition isn’t always simple. In one instance, a rider was injured while riding on fenced-off private property. In this situation, the courts still considered this property to be a highway, on the basis that the land was regularly used by riders as an unofficial riding track

Generally speaking though, if you’re injured on land which is privately owned and you’re riding an unregistered bike you’re not covered.

That’s why, even when riding on private property, you shouldn’t ride an unregistered bike!

If you own the dirt bike on which you’re injured on private land and registration hasn’t been paid for at least 12 months, then you’re not covered. If you don’t own the bike you are excluded from cover if the bike has never been registered.

The next time you go for a ride on a mate’s property, double-check to ensure the bike’s registration is up to date. Remember, recreational registration can suffice, depending where you are riding your dirt bike.

Off-road dirt bike riding in Victoria

In Victoria, it is not legal to ride off-road – for example in State forests and reserves - without your licence and at least recreational registration.

Other than the potential for cheaper recreational registration for off-road riding, registration, licencing and compensation entitlements are the same whether you are riding on or off road.

If your bike doesn’t have current registration, or if your motorcycle riding licence has not been renewed for at least three years, you’ll be covered by the TAC scheme, including the cost of medical treatment, but you won’t be able to claim income support payments within 18 months of the accident.

Did your dirt bike accident happen interstate?

If you’re injured dirt bike riding interstate on a Victorian registered bike, you are still covered by the TAC no fault scheme. Common law (fault-based claim) rights will be subject to the laws of the State or territory where the accident occurred.

Am I entitled to compensation if I'm hurt while dirt bike racing?

Dirt bike riders or road bike riders injured in a speed trial, race or race testing are excluded from the TAC compensation system.

Key takeaway for dirt biking in Victoria 

Some of the regulation around dirt bike accident compensation can be complex in Victoria.

The key take out is the obvious – always ride a registered and insured bike. If you have any questions about the rules in your state, and specific to your situation, you can speak to one of our lawyers.

Even if an accident does not give rise to no fault benefits under the compensation scheme of the relevant state/territory, there still may be common law rights where an accident has been caused by the fault of another person.

Our expert road injury lawyers can help

Our specialist road injury lawyers are experienced in a range of claims related to road accident injuries. If you've been hurt on the road, we can help you understand your options. 

It doesn't cost you anything to know where you stand 

Office locations

We’re here to help. Get in touch with your local office.

Select your state below

We have lawyers who specialise in a range of legal claims who travel to Australian Capital Territory. If you need a lawyer in Canberra or elsewhere in Australian Capital Territory, please call us on 1800 675 346.

We have lawyers who specialise in a range of legal claims who travel to Tasmania. If you need a lawyer in Hobart, Launceston or elsewhere in Tasmania, please call us on 1800 675 346.