Road accident injury lawyers

Road accident injuries

1800 305 568
If you have suffered an injury in a motor vehicle accident that was caused by someone else or was partly someone else’s fault, you may be able to make a compulsory third party (CTP) claim for compensation in Queensland.

All motor vehicle owners in Australia pay CTP insurance as part of their vehicle registration. In Queensland, this insurance goes to the CTP insurers through a scheme overseen by the Motor Accident Insurance Commission to provide financial, medical and other assistance when someone is injured on the roads.

Maurice Blackburn can help you with compensation claims for accidents involving cars, trucks, buses, motorbikes and bicycles.

Our expert lawyers will guide you through the CTP process, especially if you are having difficulty establishing fault to claim compensation. You must make a CTP claim before taking any legal action.

Our lawyers are also experts in the National Injury Insurance Scheme (NIIS). NIIS is a scheme that provides necessary and reasonable lifetime treatment, care and support to those eligible who have sustained catastrophic personal injuries in a road accident in Queensland after 1 July 2016.

If you have an accident in a different state or territory to where your car is registered, you should seek legal advice about the best location to make your claim because entitlements vary considerably. No matter where you have the accident, we can help you with the claims process.

If you can’t identify the person who was at fault in your motor vehicle accident, you can make a common law claim against the ‘nominal' defendant.

There are time limits for common law claims (where available). Time limits and laws also vary for children claiming compensation. We can provide details during your free first consultation.

We have Queensland offices in Brisbane, Browns Plains, Caboolture, Cairns, Gold Coast, Ipswich, Mackay, Rockhampton, Strathpine, Sunshine Coast, Toowoomba, and Townsville. Contact us today for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are my rights the same no matter where I am in Australia?

No. There are different compensation laws in every Australian state and territory. Where you should claim depends on where the accident happened, where you live, and/or the state in which your vehicle is registered. If this is not the same state, it is important that the laws of both states be considered. We can do this.

What types of road and car accidents are covered in Queensland?

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance in Queensland is a ‘fault’ scheme. People can claim even if the accident was partly their own fault. We can advise on this. The CTP insurance covers a number of accident types, including:

  • a driver injured in an accident where the other vehicle was at fault
  • a passenger injured in an accident with another vehicle
  • a passenger injured in a single vehicle accident
  • a pedestrian hit by a vehicle
  • a cyclist hit by a vehicle or hitting an opening door of a vehicle (‘dooring’)
  • a motorcyclist hit by a vehicle, and
  • a driver or passenger in a single vehicle accident caused by a defect in the vehicle, which caused the vehicle to run out of control
  • people injured when a vehicle cannot be identified or is unregistered
  • a person who witnesses one of these accidents, and
  • the dependants of someone who dies in an accident

Please refer to our brochure for further information relating to your state.

What is the National Injury Insurance Scheme?

The National Injury Insurance Scheme (NIIS) is a scheme for anyone who has had an accident in Queensland and has sustained serious personal injuries. The scheme provides lifetime treatment to those eligible, and is designed to help people achieve their goals, and maximise their independence. For more information on the NIIS and for help with your claim contact Maurice Blackburn today

Does the NIIS scheme affect my CTP insurance?

No it won’t. Your CTP insurance will still cover injuries in road accidents that are not catastrophic.

What compensation and benefits am I entitled to in Australia?

Depending on your location and eligibility to make a claim, you may be entitled to no fault benefits including medical and like expenses, loss of income payments and lump sum payments.

In some states you may also have common law rights to sue the person who caused the accident. You should talk to your lawyer about your rights. In a common law claim you can claim for pain and suffering, loss of amenity, loss of wages and/or financial loss (including superannuation), and medical expenses.

Strict time limits apply that vary in each state, and different laws apply for children.

Please refer to our brochure for further information relating to your state or contact us.

What no fault medical and similar benefits am I covered for in Australia?

If you are eligible to make a no fault claim, you are likely to be covered for benefits such as:

  • medical and hospital (including pharmacy and counselling)
  • rehabilitation
  • nursing and disability services
  • post-acute support services, and
  • expenses arising from a death including funeral costs.

Please refer to our brochure for further information relating to your state.

Are there any other costs can I claim for in Australia?

In some states where you are eligible to make a no fault claim, you may also be able to claim the reasonable costs associated with the motor vehicle accident, such as:

  • travel to and from medical appointments associated with your motor vehicle injuries
  • an injured person returning to work or retraining
  • home and vehicle modifications
  • attendant care services, including attendant care while travelling overseas,
  • home help, domestic assistance, gardening services, school tutoring and integration aides.

Please refer to our brochure for further information relating to your state.

Is there a time limit for me to claim compensation in Australia?

Yes. Time limits vary between states and depending on whether the person injured is an adult or a child, and who is at fault for the accident. You may have as little as 28 days from the date of the accident to lodge your initial claim, while in other states you may have up to a year with a possible extension of up to three years. It is best to seek legal advice as soon as possible. We provide our initial advice and evaluation for free.

How do I make a CTP claim?

Maurice Blackburn will assist you with your CTP claim. The process varies around Australia, but generally it involves:

  • reporting the accident to the police (if you didn't do this, we can submit a report for you)
  • completing and lodging a Notice of Accident Claim Form with the CTP insurer of the vehicle at fault, within the strict time limits that apply, and
  • including a special medical certificate with your claim, which has been completed by your own medical doctor if possible.

How long will it take?

After you have made a claim, the CTP insurer must make a decision about whether they accept or deny liability (fault). They often deny fault when they should admit fault. Each case is different and it is important not to finalise a claim too early, because all of your losses may not be assessable at an early stage. Claims may sometimes take longer due to injuries not having stabilised, difficulty in negotiating a settlement with the insurer or delays in the court process. It is important to remember your claim is unique.  We will push your claim to resolve it as quickly as possible. We're happy to discuss timeframes with you.

Will I have to go to court?

In the vast majority of cases, claims are resolved without going to court. We can usually settle claims by negotiation. We keep you fully advised and informed through this process.

Does Maurice Blackburn do 'no win, no fee'?

Yes, Maurice Blackburn pioneered representing clients on a 'no win-no fee' basis. We are happy to advise you on your situation during a free first consultation. Contact us now to make an appointment.

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

Can we help?

Find an office near you

Let us contact you

It doesn’t cost you anything to know where you stand

We take calls 24/7

Call us now
1800 305 568

Free Call

Find an office near you

Let us contact you