Qualification(s): LLB, BBusMan
Kelly Thomas is an employment and industrial Associate, practising in Maurice Blackburn’s Melbourne office. She is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria and the only first tier law practice listed by the prestigious Doyles Guide 2018.
She has committed her professional life to helping those treated unfairly, and advises people from all walks of life. Her clients include teachers, health professionals, legal practitioners, retail workers, academics, senior managers, and transport workers. Although Kelly is approachable and enjoys a laugh, she does not tolerate unfairness, especially in relation to gender inequality, workplace bullying and harassment, restraints of trade, and discrimination. She uses legal avenues, and a strategic approach, to achieve positive outcomes for her clients.
Kelly’s legal achievements include:
- obtaining an injunction for a nurse whose employer was introducing a discriminatory roster change
- representing a young woman at hearing, and on appeal, who was sexually assaulted at work - she was awarded significant compensation
- reinstating a mineworker’s job who was dismissed because of his union activities.
- providing support to a senior health professional responding to allegations of wrongdoing in order to maintain her employment
- negotiating a legal practitioner’s six-figure settlement following discrimination and bullying and harassment
- obtaining an apology for a victim of defamation
Memberships & accreditations
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Victorian Women Lawyers
- Industrial Relations Society of Victoria
- Maurice Blackburn’s Women’s Network
- Epilepsy Foundation
- Future Women
- Australian Breastfeeding Association