Qualification(s): LLB, BEc SocSc
Mia Pantechis is a Senior Associate in Maurice Blackburn’s Sydney employment team. She is a senior member of the only first tier law practice listed by the prestigious Doyles Guide 2018 for employee representation.
Mia graduated from the University of Sydney. She holds a Bachelor of Laws as well as a Bachelor of Economic and Social Sciences, with a major in Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations.
Mia regularly acts for executives, senior managers and employees across all areas of employment law, including contractual disputes, redundancies, workplace investigations, terminations, bullying, discrimination, sexual harassment, unfair dismissals, restraint of trade disputes, and adverse action matters.
Mia adopts a strategic and pragmatic approach to resolving employment disputes, and is experienced in conducting matters before all relevant Courts and Tribunals, as well as negotiating discrete out-of-court settlements. She displays empathy when guiding her clients, provides creative solutions tailored to her clients' interests, and is skilled in achieving outcomes that protect their reputation.
Mia has successfully:
- obtained a six figure settlement for a manager of a multinational company who was bullied and denied bonus entitlements
- obtained a six figure settlement for a woman who was sexually harassed at work
- obtained, in multiple cases, between 6 and 12 months’ salary as compensation for employees subjected to adverse action
- negotiated a settlement equivalent to 10 months’ salary in a complex pregnancy discrimination matter
- negotiated, in multiple cases, favourable exit packages for employees subjected to workplace investigations and facing disciplinary action
- assisted victims of sexual harassment, discrimination and bullying make complaints to their employer and to relevant Tribunals
- assisted employees to successfully defend misconduct allegations, and
- stopped an employer from enforcing a non-compete clause in a restraint of trade dispute.
Memberships & accreditations
- Law Society of NSW member
- New South Wales Young Lawyers member
- New South Wales Young Lawyers Workplace and Safety Law committee member
- Women Lawyers’ Association of NSW member
- Industrial Relations Society of NSW member
- Lawyers Weekly 30 Under 30 Workplace Relations, Employment and Safety finalist 2016