Qualification(s): LLB, BSocWk
Rebecca Gilsenan is a principal in Maurice Blackburn's class actions department in Sydney. She has extensive experience in running complex and novel litigation, including class actions in the areas of price fixing, failed investment schemes, product liability and securities.
Rebecca's major cases have included:
- a class action against Amcor Limited and Visy Board Pty Ltd resulting in $95 million settlement for thousands of victims of the companies price fixing and market rigging conduct
- a series of class actions regarding failed heart devices
- a class action regarding failed Smith & Nephew macrotextured knee implants
- landmark litigation for a child immigration detainee against the Commonwealth and detention centre operators regarding the child's treatment in immigration detention
- a constitutional challenge in the High Court
- a class action regarding investments in a property trust, and
- a group action for investors in a failed property investment scheme.
She is currently working on:
- a test case about whether human genes can be patented
- a shareholder class action against Leighton Holdings
- a class action against various airlines for price fixing in the air cargo industry
- a class action in relation to failed knee implants
- a shareholder class action against Gunns Limited
- a class action against various airlines for price fixing in the air cargo industry, and
- a class action in relation to failed DePuy LCS Duofix knee implants
Rebecca also acts for Greenpeace Australia Pacific Limited.
Rebecca has been a contributor on legal matters with various media outlets. In 2011, she was a weekly contributor and blogger with The Daily Telegraph newspaper. In 2012, Rebecca was a weekly contributor to Network Ten's national morning television program Breakfast as their weekly expert on legal matters.
Memberships & accreditations
- Public Interest Advocacy Centre Board member
- UNSW Law School Advisory Council member
- Guthrie House former Board member
- Listed by the AFR as one of the best class action lawyers in Australia in 2016
- Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Pro Bono Award finalist
- 2016 Lawyers Weekly Women in Law Pro Bono Award finalist, 2015
- NSW Women Lawyers Partner of the Year finalist, 2015