Qualification(s): BComm, LLB (Hons)
Ronald Koo is a Senior Associate in Maurice Blackburn's class actions team in Melbourne.
Ronald is currently representing shareholders in a class action against the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) following revelations of systemic and severe contraventions by CBA of the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 (Cth) as alleged in separate proceedings brought by Australia’s financial intelligence and regulatory agency, AUSTRAC.
Ronald is an experienced class actions lawyer having worked on all aspects of class actions across Federal and State jurisdictions (at trial and appellate level). Some notable matters he has worked on include the following:
- the Multiplex shareholder class action which settled for $110 million in 2010
- the Kilmore East - Kinglake Bushfire class action which settled for a record $494 million in 2014 — the highest class action settlement in Australian legal history
- the Air Cargo cartel class action against major international airlines which settled for $38 million in 2014
- the Bank Fees class actions
- a tort-based class action against the Steve of Victoria in the Abalone Virus matter,
- the Allco Ltd shareholder class action which settled for $40 million, and
- the QBE Ltd shareholder class action.
Ronald graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) and a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Melbourne. He completed his articled clerkship at Maurice Blackburn.
Beyond his work at Maurice Blackburn, Ronald has had longstanding interest and commitments in various social justice, community development and arts initiatives including his long tenure as Secretary and Board Member of Multicultural Arts Victoria.