Qualification(s): BComm, LLB (Hons)
Ronald Koo is a Principal Lawyer in Maurice Blackburn's class actions team in Melbourne.
Ronald is currently representing shareholders in a class action against the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) following revelations of systemic and severe contraventions by CBA of the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 (Cth). He is also representing shareholders in the Brambles class action for alleged losses suffered following significant earnings and profit downgrades by Brambles in FY17.
Ronald is an experienced class actions lawyer having worked on all aspects of class actions across Federal and State jurisdictions (at trial and appellate level). Some notable matters he has worked on include the following:
- the Multiplex shareholder class action which settled for $110 million in 2010
- the Kilmore East - Kinglake Bushfire class action which settled for a record $494 million in 2014 — the highest class action settlement in Australian legal history
- the Air Cargo cartel class action against major international airlines which settled for $38 million in 2014
- the Allco shareholder class action which settled for $40 million, and
- the QBE shareholder class action which settled for $132.5 million.
Ronald graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) and a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Melbourne. He completed his articled clerkship at Maurice Blackburn.
Beyond his work at Maurice Blackburn, Ronald has had longstanding interest and commitments in various social justice, community development and arts initiatives.