Three reasons to choose Maurice Blackburn
Convenient Unique One-stop Service
MyLife Documents® is a convenient and easy solution to estate planning.
Maurice Blackburn are expert Wills and estate lawyers, with over a century of expertise and experience.
Fixed Price Packages
We offer complete transparency in our pricing and take the time to explain these to you in detail in your first consultation so you know where you stand.
Frequently Asked Questions
The MyLife Documents™ package includes the five following legal documents:
- A standard Will
- Enduring Power of Attorney (POA)
- Appointment of a Medical Treatment Decision Maker
- Advance Care Directive
- Statement of Wishes
By bundling these five legal documents, Maurice Blackburn can offer them for a great value fixed price.
The package is priced at $1,290 for singles and only $1,450 for couples.
These costs may vary if you (and/or your partner) require a complex Will (see next question).
In the case of a complex Will, the pricing is agreed with you upfront, once we’ve discussed your instructions and fully understand your wishes and circumstances. Of course, once our expert lawyer has provided you with the cost estimate you are under no obligation to proceed.
Where helpful, we can offer 60 day payment terms which commence from the drafting of your standard Will.
It is important that you obtain legal advice specific to your circumstances to make sure that your Will is legally valid and is going to give effect to your wishes regarding the way your assets are distributed.
For many people a standard Will can achieve these aims. When your family and asset circumstances are straightforward, for example, if all your children are from your current relationship or if you do not have children, then a standard Will may be suitable.
However, it is important to remember that you might not necessarily know if your situation is going to be complicated. A Maurice Blackburn lawyer will review your circumstances and advise you.
In the event that your personal circumstances lead to your Will being considered a complex Will, the team at Maurice Blackburn have the skill and experience to create a Will that meets your needs no matter how complex they may be at a reasonable cost.
A complex Will require more detailed instruction gathering and drafting than a standard Will.
There are many common scenarios that may require a complex Will.
These can include:
- Your family is a blended family
- Assets of partners or spouses are not owned jointly
- Properties are co-owned with non-partner/spouse
- You own a business or multiple businesses
- You have a Self-Managed Super Fund
- You are in control of a Family or Unit Trust
- You wish to list multiple specific gifts including gifts of property (real estate)
- You wish to make arrangements to provide for a beneficiary with a disability
- The need for asset protection arrangements
- Unequal distributions to beneficiaries
- You wish to exclude a spouse or child
Maurice Blackburn can help you navigate no matter how complex and individual your circumstances and provide you with a tailored complex Will that distributes your estate as you want.
- Someone who is willing to take on the task of being an Executor or Attorney.
- Remember you do not have to appoint the same person to be both Executor and Attorney.
- Generally, consider if the person you are considering is trustworthy and is good with paperwork.
- The Executor has the responsibility to implement the instructions contained in your Will; the smooth administration of your estate therefore depends to a large extent on choosing the right Executor.
All Maurice Blackburn prepared Wills, Powers of Attorney and supplementary documents are stored securely at no cost to you. This offers additional peace of mind and security in knowing your Will can be easily located.
Your estate planning—including your MyLife Documents™—should be reviewed regularly. As a rule of thumb, every five years is recommended. However, there may be circumstances that justify more regular reviews:
- Change in relationship such as marriage, separation or divorce or entering into or ending a de facto relationship
- Having children (including adopting or fostering)
- The death of a proposed beneficiary or executor
- Major events / accidents / illnesses that occur in your family
- Major changes to your assets
Fixed Price Packages
We offer complete transparency in our pricing and take the time to explain these to you in detail in your first consultation so you know where you stand. MyLife Documents™ is available for a flat fee of $1,290 for individuals and $1,450 for couples. We also offer generous 60 day payment terms if needed.