Qualification(s): BA, LLB
Emma Starkey is a Senior Associate in Maurice Blackburn's Melbourne employment team. She is a senior member of the only first tier law practice listed by the prestigious Doyles Guide 2017 for employee representation.
Emma has successfully:
- obtained a 7-figure compensation package for a Chief Operating Officer who was sacked after she made a complaint about unethical behaviour
- represented a senior manager in defending a year-long witch hunt investigation which resulted in the manager being exonerated and reinstated to his position
- negotiated a 6-figure exit package for a senior manager who was subjected to bullying in his workplace
- assisted a General Manager obtain the equivalent of 9 months’ salary when her employment was terminated after more than 20 years of service
- assisted victims of sexual harassment and discrimination make complaints to their employer and to State and Federal human rights commissions
- obtained, in multiple cases, between 6 and 9 months’ salary as compensation for victims who were unable to return to work after botched workplace investigations
- assisted a suspended health professional defend allegations of serious misconduct and be reinstated to her position
- represented a senior executive in a multinational corporation defend allegations of bullying and maintain his employment without any adverse consequences or findings
- stopped an employer’s attempts to enforce an unreasonable and excessive restraint of trade clause which would have prevented the executive from working in their field of expertise, and
- assisted numerous women who have been sacked or demoted while pregnant, on parental leave or shortly upon their return to work.
Emma understands that the decision to seek legal advice is not one made lightly. She is acutely aware of the reputational and financial concerns that executives have; in particular, their reluctance to engage in protracted and public legal proceedings. Emma’s proven approach combines legal and strategic methods to maximise the position of her clients and achieve their desired objective. The majority of Emma’s matters resolve through confidential negotiations and/or prior to trial.
When litigation is necessary and recommended, Emma is experienced in litigating matters in the Federal Court, Court of Appeal, County Court, the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal and the Fair Work Commission. She has successfully obtained interlocutory injunctions in the Federal Court and regularly represents her clients in mediations and conciliation conferences.
Emma’s clients include CEOs, Managing Directors, General Managers, lawyers, professionals in the marketing, finance and IT industries, accountants, engineers, scientists, senior public servants, academics, health and medical professionals. Emma’s clients have repeatedly commended her for her strategic thinking, empathy, insight and determination.
Emma has worked in the area of employment law for nearly 10 years. She has a diverse employment background, with experience working for another national plaintiff law firm, a government department and as a research associate to the head of an industrial tribunal.
Emma is currently on Parental Leave.
Memberships & associations
- Law Institute of Victoria member
- Law Institute of Victoria Employment and Industrial Law co-chair
- Victorian Women's Lawyers member
- Maurice Blackburn's Women's Network member