Qualification(s): LLM, Dip Law
Jason Geisker is a class actions Principal Lawyer in Maurice Blackburn’s Sydney office, focusing on class action litigation and litigation funding.
Jason is well recognised class action and commercial litigator. He is one of the select few class action lawyers to have been recognised by Doyle’s Guide as a leading lawyer in the field of litigation and dispute resolution in Sydney, with Maurice Blackburn’s class action department also being named in the Doyle’s Guide for leading NSW Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution law firms.
A tenacious, innovative and diligent lawyer, Jason pursues cases with the client’s strategic goals and objectives front of mind. Jason has acted in a number of a high profile and significant matters since his admission to practice in 1996. He is currently working on the Australian class actions against Volkswagen, Audi and Skoda. Jason also acts as the principal legal advisor to Claims Funding Australian Pty Ltd, an Australian litigation funding business, and wholly owned subsidiary, of Maurice Blackburn Pty Limited.
Jason has overseen various class actions including:
- Volkswagen, Audi and Skoda class action, arising from the ‘dieselgate’ scandal over emissions test cheating around the world. The class actions were brought in late 2015 on behalf of 100,000 Australian motorists seeking redress from the vehicle manufacturers for losses suffered as a result of the sale of dirty diesel engine vehicles, which were passed off as low emission clean diesel technology.
- City Pacific Limited class action trial in the Federal Court on behalf of Trilogy Funds Management representing 11,000 investors against former City Pacific Limited directors for alleged breaches of the Corporations Act. This action started in 2012 and culminated in a successful $63m judgment ordered against former City Pacific directors in March 2016. This decision was successfully maintained on appeals to the Full Federal Court and the High Court of Australia. The judgment arose out of major losses suffered by the Fund from its loans on inflated mortgage securities offered by Atkinson Gore Agricultural Pty Limited, (a Craig Gore related company).
- Nufarm class action settlement of $46.625m in 2012 for over 3,000 Nufarm Ltd investors, on the basis that Nufarm had breached its continuous disclosure obligations, and also made its FY2010 forecast without any reasonable basis and had engaged in misleading conduct.
- AWB class action settlement of $39.5m for almost 1,300 eligible shareholders in 2010 regarding AWB’s involvement in the ‘Oil-for-food’ kickback scandal. It was alleged that AWB failed to disclose the nature of the kickback payments, and that AWB engaged in misleading or deceptive conduct.
- Gunns Ltd class action on behalf of over 300 shareholders regarding Gunns' failure to disclose material information regarding a significant deterioration in its likely financial performance in 2009. In September 2012, an administrator was appointed to Gunns and the proceeding was automatically stayed as a result.
“Our class action team’s unparalleled success in Australia is recognised internationally, throughout the legal profession and by litigation funders and the various corporate and government respondents against whom we take action. We are the only Australian law firm to have secured class action settlements in excess of $100 million and we have now recovered in excess of $2.5 billion for victims of wrongdoing in Australia.”
Since 1995 Jason has actively worked on various legal and policy reforms including access to justice issues and civil procedure. Jason has written broadly in the developing area of class actions and litigation funding and has been quoted extensively in the media regarding the longstanding Volkswagen diesel emissions scandal and its ongoing impact on Australian motorists and the environment.
Accreditations & memberships
- Law Society of NSW member
- International Bar Association member
- American Association of Justice member
- Law Council of Australia Federal Litigation and Dispute Resolution Section member
- Doyle's 2016 list of Leading NSW Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution Lawyers