Qualification(s): LLB (Hons), BA
Richard Ryan is an experienced Special Counsel in Maurice Blackburn’s Sydney class actions office.
Since joining Maurice Blackburn in 2007, Richard’s work has included the conduct and settlement of some of the largest class actions in Australia, including:
- RiverCity class action, which settled for $121 million in August 2016 – the highest ever settlement in a financial product class action in Australia
- Amcor/Visy class action, which settled for $120 million in May 2011 – the highest ever settlement in a cartel class action in Australia
- the management of the subsequent distribution of over $97 million in settlement monies to over 1,300 victims of price fixing and market rigging conduct, and nearly $70 million to over 1,000 investors in a failed toll road project
- a class action regarding investments in a failed property trust which successfully settled in June 2009.
Richard is currently working on:
Richard has more than 25 years’ experience as a commercial litigator working in Sydney, London and New Zealand for plaintiff and corporate defendants and has a proven track record in getting excellent results for his clients in highly complex disputes.
Richard is experienced in alternative dispute resolution including mediation, arbitration (both international and domestic) and is a Law Society accredited specialist in dispute resolution. Since December 2015, he has been a member of the NSW Law Society Litigation Law and Practice Committee.
“I am proud to conduct class actions for our clients and take on the big end of town for serious corporate misconduct,” says Richard.
“Our class action work is worthwhile and meaningful and ventilates issues that otherwise might be buried.
“The most satisfying part of our work is working with our clients to deliver a successful outcome and seeing our clients be well compensated for having been ripped off, and the wrongdoers held to account – usually after a long and hard battle.”
Memberships & accreditations
- NSW Law Society member
- NSW Law Society dispute resolution accredited specialist
- NSW Law Society Litigation Law and Practice Committee member