Qualification(s): BA, LLB (Hons), MBA
Kimi Nishimura is a Principal Lawyer in the Class Actions department of Maurice Blackburn's Melbourne office. She is currently heading up the Foreign Exchange Cartel Class Action against UBS, Royal Bank of Scotland, JPMorgan, Citibank and Barclays in relation to alleged illegal cartel conduct in the foreign exchange market in the period 1 January 2008 to 15 October 2013.
Between August 2015 and March 2017, Kimi oversaw the Kilmore East to Kinglake and the Murrindindi Bushfire Class Action settlement administrations. These settlement administrations involved the assessment of approximately 15,000 personal injury and economic loss & property damage claims and the distribution of over $700 million of compensation to bushfire survivors.
Prior to supervising the settlement administrations, Kimi was a key member of the legal team involved in the trial of the Kilmore East to Kinglake Bushfire Class Action. This action sought compensation for those who suffered personal injury, property loss and business losses in the Kilmore East to Kinglake Black Saturday bushfire. The trial of the class action was held before the Supreme Court of Victoria over a 16-month period. It remains one of the largest civil claims ever heard in Victoria, in terms of the number of people affected by the claim, the claim value and the length and duration of the trial. The class action settled for record class action settlement amount of approximately $500 million in July 2014.
Kimi previously worked on the Muckaty Station nuclear waste repository dispute, the Air Cargo cartel class action and the Aristocrat shareholder class action. She is committed to fighting for the rights of victims of corporate misconduct and to pursuing compensation on behalf of her clients. In 2016, Kimi was recognised by Doyle’s Guide as a litigation and dispute resolution rising star lawyer in Australia.
Outside of work, Kimi is an active and passionate community legal centre volunteer.
- Melbourne Business School Foundation Award of Excellence - 2016
- Doyle’s Guide - Litigation and dispute resolution rising star lawyer in Australia - 2016
- Melbourne Business School Commendation Award - Financial Analysis & Valuation - 2016
- Melbourne Business School Commendation Award – Marketing Strategy - 2016
- Melbourne Business School Commendation Award – Financial Management - 2015
- Melbourne Business School Commendation Award – Managing People - 2014
- University of Melbourne, Class Actions Prize - 2010